Runner’s World Heartbreak Hill Half Festival (Part 2)

My apologies for the delay in this post. It’s been a crazy last week or so, so I’m finally getting around to it. If you haven’t read my first post about the weekend, be sure to check it out.

On Saturday, I got up about 5:30 and headed out to campus for the 5k and 10k. We got to campus and it was a bit crazy, but we made our way into the parking garage and up to the starting line. As I was waiting for the 5k to start, I managed to find a good friend from Junior League, Mary, and got to chat with her for a bit. It was great to see her and catchup. The race started and we were on our way. The race went by so quickly and before we knew it, the race was over. I finished in a time of 21:50. This was about 17 seconds faster than the 5k I had run the weekend before and it was much hillier. I think the 5k is going to be my race for the summer – I’m very excited!

After the race was done, I refueled for a bit and just walked around the campus. Sam was nice enough to come out with me for both days of the weekend. With a little bit of refueling, I was ready for the 10K.

To be honest, I’m not a fan of the 10k length at all, but it always seems to be a race I sign up for. I don’t think I had run one of these since the previous May, when I ran a 10k as a qualifying race to get into the Houston Marathon (a race I never ran). I didn’t know what to expect for this race, as it was getting much hotter. I also had told myself I was going to run this race and the half as training runs, and not races, so I wouldn’t hurt myself.

We started, and the heat started, and it was just up and down hills for 6 miles. I ran these hills in college, so for the most part I knew what to expect. While they aren’t always the best, they also aren’t THAT bad. Before the race began, I found a guy from November Project and Energy Bits, who I talked to for the majority of the first half of the race, until he blew me away on the uphills (he ran all through the winter, and it was very evident). The company is sending me a free sample, so once I use the bits, I will write a review on here for them.

I felt fine for most of the race, but didn’t manage to negative split, which I was also hoping for. I ended up with a time of 50:08. I think the time was a little slower than what my watch had me at, but who knows who was absolutely correct.

That about rounded up the 1st day of the Hat Trick. They had medals for us after each of the races, which was a nice touch. My friend Katie met up with Sam and I after the races and we walked around the expo once again to pick up a few other items. Sam and I did very well at the stick booth. I came home with the pet stick, foot roller, and trigger point roller. I already had the original stick, and love it, so I wanted to add a few others to the collection (And I’m a sucker!).

On Sunday morning, we headed back to campus for the half marathon. It was another early morning wake up at around 5:30. On the way, Sam and I stopped at 3 different spots before we could find coffee and a bagel. Finally we ended up at one right by his apartment. The traffic getting onto campus on Sunday was a bit miserable, but luckily as an alum, I know the shortcuts and they worked!

We parked and met up with Katie, who was with another friend from college, and just hung out before the race. I didn’t have as much time as I thought, but we still got to chat and enjoy the day. We then lined up in the corral, I had to push our way to the front, and I think Katie and Caitlin were both happy for this in hindsight, as both of them blew me away. Katie mentioned something about staying with me the whole race, and I laughed at her (rightfully so). The course was a beautiful tour of Newton, with the hills, and some added turns. I was in front of Shalane Flanagan for the first 1.8 miles – SUCCESS! She was so sweet to the people she was running by, but ended up finishing 3rd (right in front of Katie!). I didn’t run this race very hard, and it was very clear by the end. I tried to keep up with the pacer for the 1:40 and that didn’t happen. Then with less than a mile to go, the 1:45 pacer passed me too – oh well. I ended up finishing in 1:49:59. This was my slowest half in quite some time, but it was also probably the hilliest half I’ve ever run. I was happy with the day and have no real complaints.

Overall, Runner’s World did a great job with the weekend and I can’t wait to run it again!


Did you run at the Runner’s World Festival? What did you think? 

This entry was posted in Running and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s